Moving from California to Florida – how to prepare?
Long-distance relocations are stressful and difficult for many different reasons. No matter if you are moving for the first time or you have experience already. If you are moving from California to Florida any time soon, you must be properly prepared. How to prepare, what to do, where to start, how to organize your move, how to choose the best moving company and to compare different moving quotes, etc? We know how. Having a guide when moving is essential.
Benefits of moving from California to Florida this year
Yes, CA and FL have a lot of things in common, but on the other hand, they are totally different states. Many people moved from California to Florida because of many different reasons.
Some of the benefits you will experience after moving are:
- Taxes are lower in Florida, much lower. Actually, CA has the highest sales taxes in the USA at 8%, and FL has 6%. Also, Florida does not have income taxes, while California has income taxes of 13.3%. If you want to start a business, moving from California to Florida may be a good option.
- Education in Florida is great. This state is ranked as having one of the highest AP test scores. If you are moving to FL with kids or you are moving there for education, you should not worry about your education.
- California’s nature is amazing, but Florida has some of the most beautiful beaches. White sand beaches attract tourists from all around the world. Besides beaches, there is the Gulf of Mexico, Everglades National Park, small and unique coastal towns, etc.
- Costs of living in Florida are lower than the costs of living in California and the difference is huge. Home prices are cheaper, rent, food, transportation, utilities, etc. Settling down in Florida and moving there can be really affordable.
How to prepare for moving from California to Florida
To prepare for moving properly, you should have a guide to follow. Creating a moving checklist is one of the best ways to handle a move like a pro. With some simple steps, you will.
Calculating the costs of moving
One of the major concerns people have when moving is money. The average cost of cross country relocation can be anywhere from $5,000 to $8,000. Depending on how many items you have to move. If you have special items to move such as piano or vehicles, your move will be more expensive. Also, if you want additional services from a moving company, that will cost more.
This relocation is not cheap, but there are some ways how you can cut some of the moving costs. CA to FL vehicle transportation can be affordable if you have professionals on your side to help you.
Even if you choose to move by yourself, it won’t be free. Renting a moving vehicle, getting all packing supplies and equipment, it all cost.
Choosing a city in Florida to move to
Florida is not a small state. It has a lot of beautiful cities and small coastal towns. If you are moving because of a job and you already have a job offer, then you know where you will live. But, you need to choose your future home.
If you don’t have an idea about where to move, it is time to do research. Some of the most popular cities in Florida to move to are:
- Tampa Bay
- Vero Beach
- St. Petersburg
Where you will move depends on many different factors. Costs of living, your lifestyle, crime rate, schools for kids, job market, etc. But, the options are almost endless in Florida, so start exploring and if you are able, visit some of the cities and get your own experience.
Hiring a moving company
Long-distance relocations are easier and safer with a reliable moving company. But, how to choose a moving company for your big move from CA to FL. It is not easy to give all your belongings to strangers and let them transport them.
- Get recommendations from people who moved recently to Florida. Ask friends relatives, co-workers, a real estate agent, etc. One of the companies that will be able to help you move is Los Angeles Transfer and Storage.
- Read online moving reviews about the company’s services. But, you must know to recognize fake ones, for example, if reviews are too positive or the date of posting is the same, that is a red flag.
- Visit the company’s office before hiring them to make sure they really exist (if you have found them online).
- Get their US DOT number and check a license for moving from California to Florida as well as insurance.
- Don’t hire the first company you will find. Pick a few of them and then compare their services and prices.
Packing for a long-distance move
Packing for a long-distance relocation is stressful. One of the good things is that the weather is similar in CA and FL, so you don’t have to buy new clothing or to worry about rain.
- Get enough packing material, or if you will hire professional packers, they will bring their own equipment.
- If you are packing by yourself, ask friends to help you with a bulky sofa transported to your new apartment and moving other large and heavy furniture.
- Declutter before start packing.
- To get the accurate price of packing and moving, you can get online moving quotes, but you better ask for an in-home moving estimate.
- Label all the boxes when you are done with packing.
- Don’t forget to pack an essential moving box.
Throw a goodbye party
Throwing a goodbye party will prepare you emotionally. You will have time to say goodbye to your friends and to notify them you are moving. Moving from California to Florida is a big step and will take time until you will see your friends again.